The mission of the Maya Gold Foundation is to empower youth to access their inner wisdom and realize their dreams.
The Maya Gold Foundation was created in response to the tragic death of 15-year old Maya Gold, a New Paltz High School student who took her own life in October of 2015. Maya’s parents, Elise Gold and Mathew Swerdloff, launched the organization with help from community members and friends, in response to the social pressures and concerns her death brought to light.
In addition to being a loving daughter, sister, and friend, Maya was a social activist, an inspired student, and creatively engaged with the world. She loved to travel and dreamed of working in Nepal. In Maya’s honor, the Foundation will collaborate with communities in and around New Paltz and in Nepal.
Inspired by Maya’s empathy and bright spirit, the Foundation’s Core Values are to:
- Uplift and empower youth and adults
- Promote and embrace change
- Work with compassion and respect
- Celebrate creativity and joy
The Foundation’s two goals are to:
- Support existing programs and develop new programs for teens in New Paltz and the surrounding area that will enhance emotional awareness, build mutual support and caring among teens and adults, strengthen inner resilience, and teach mindfulness practice.
- Partner with carefully vetted NGO’s in Nepal to provide essentials (food, medicine, shelter, clothing and education) to children in need, and provide opportunities for cross-cultural exchanges between youth in New Paltz and Nepal.
The Foundation is funded entirely by donations and grants, and all donations go towards programs and services. All administrative overhead is covered by a single donor family. All Directors and Advisors work on a volunteer basis, and all funds go to programs supporting youth. The Foundation is a registered 501(c)(3) charity, and all donations are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.
We welcome your input and support. For more information, email us at email@example.com.
The Annual Report of the Maya Gold Foundation may be obtained, upon request in writing, from the New York State Attorney General’s Office Charities Bureau, 120 Broadway, 3rd Floor, New York, New York 10271 or from the Maya Gold Foundation, Inc., 5 Wawarsing Road, New Paltz, NY 12561, and on this website on the Reports tab. Our TIN number is 47-5490398.